Leo Varadkar wins: Ireland set to install first openly gay Prime Minister
The 38-year-old son of an Indian immigrant will succeed Enda Kenny
Ireland’s governing party Fine Gael has elected Leo Varadkar as its new leader, meaning the once-staunchly Catholic country will get its first openly gay prime minister.
The 38-year-old son of an Indian immigrant will also be the youngest-ever person to hold the office, succeeding Enda Kenny, 66, in a striking generational and social change. He is expected to be voted in as prime minister when parliament next sits on 13 June.
“If somebody of my age, of my mixed race background and of all the things that make up my character can potentially become leader of our country, then I think that sends out a message to every child born today that there is no office in Ireland that they can’t aspire to,” Mr Varadkar told Newstalk radio this week.
Read the full piece here
Congratulations PM Varadkar and to the entire Irish LGBTQIA+ community!
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh God, ok here we go. I knew I’d hit one of these on my dash eventually.
So first off: obvs I’m not blaming anyone who isn’t from Ireland for not being up to date on our politics (like tbh the only countries that like to Demand that from the world - and saturate our media with their stuff to the point that we *do* know all their business - are England and America lmao)
And admittedly all of the world’s politics are A Lot right now, so I can def understand people just taking the surface part of this story and going “oh thank GOD, A WIN FOR ONCE”.
So this is def not a Callout Post giving out to people for reblogging celebratory posts about him getting elected when they didn’t know the details.
That being said, Leo is not any kind of victory for us here in Ireland.
Leo is, uh… I can’t think of a polite way to call someone ‘a power-grabbing, spineless, neoliberal, classist, misogynist, right-wing little coward who’s no more fucking progressive a choice than Theresa May or Margeret Thatcher were’, and tbh I don’t know if he’d deserve the politeness if I could find it.
There’s a very good article by Carl Kinsella here outlining a fair amount of his nonsense, so I won’t repeat his points, but let’s get a couple of really relevant screencaps from it just for ease of reading here:
- He campaigned *against* introducing Civil Partnerships here, on the basis that A Child Needs A Mother And Father
(He doubled down on the whole Mother And Father thing in the run-up to the referendum in 2015 for anyone who wants to try and say “well that was a long time ago, I’m sure he changed his mind!”)
- He is pretty staunchly anti-choice, and doesn’t want to repeal the 8th amendment despite it having literally killed women before
- Right before the whole leadership contest kicked off, he decided to appeal to his Fine Gael voter base by demonising the poor for about the millionth time
- And of course after a year or two of very high profile strikes by underpaid public sector workers, he’s pledged to make striking essentially illegal for them.
- And I think the conclusion speaks for itself.
Another piece that’s very worth reading was linked in the article, written in the run-up to last year’s general election.
It focuses fairly heavily on how badly he screwed us over in his time as health minister.
- He goes in with the Very Hot Take that actually if we give hospitals more resources, the staff might get lazy.- Admits he himself has a private health insurance policy (not to mention a high income) that would guarantee him the ability to go to a private hospital if he was in need of care- He said *this* bullshit while he was minister for health and a very short time before he became minister for social protection.- Here we are again with his long-standing anti-choice record
- And he’s one of those Free Market Capitalism wankers
And just to wrap up, we’ll have some assorted screencaps from other news pieces:- An old one, but has to be seen to be believed. In this 2007 lighthearted Christmas themed fluff piece written to ask public figures about their holidays, he decided to say Tiny Tim should Get A Job
- This one he tried to sell us earlier this year to justify his Welfare Cheats campaign
- He said us basically forcing our women who need abortions to go to England is no different from someone heading on a lads’ holiday to Las Vegas, so it’s grand
- He Is The Least Sexist Man Ever, How Dare You Say Otherwise
- And finally we come back to his increasingly grim anti-choice sentiments
So….. That’s Leo.
You can kind of see now why we’re not leaping for joy here, yeah?
(Your picture was not posted)